Further to Government advice regarding the Coronavirus (COVID-19), the Certification Team are now all working remotely until further notice. Please be aware that turnaround times will be affected. The Certification team are still accepting and processing applications. Any general enquiries should be directed to email@example.com
To help all applicants we are accepting all applications electronically and you are not required to submit a hard copy of the application form and statutory declaration but you must ensure this is forwarded to us within six months of your certificate being issued, otherwise the certificate may be revoked.
For final applications we will require viewing links or downloads as we will not be able to receive physical copies of DVDs.
The certification unit is the first point of contact for applicants wanting to qualify their film, high-end television programme, animation programme, children’s television programme and video game as British in order to access the UK’s creative sector tax reliefs.
Based at the BFI, 21 Stephen Street, the unit offers advice on qualification under the creative sector cultural tests, the UK’s bi-lateral co-production agreements and the European Convention on Cinematographic Co-production.
Qualifying through the cultural test
European Certificate of British Nationality
Apply for a European Certificate of British Nationality
Our activities include:
- Assessing applications for British film, high-end television programmes, animation programmes, children’s television programmes and video games under the UK’s cultural tests.
- Assessing applications for British film certification under one of the UK’s bi-lateral co-production agreements or under the European Convention.
- Assessing applications for British high-end television, animation and children’s television certification under one of the UK’s six bi-lateral co-production agreements which allow television co-production.
- Assessing applications for EC Certificates of British Nationality for film and television.
- Offering one-to-one guidance to applicants on how to qualify under the cultural tests and co-production agreements.
- Seminars and presentations on the qualification and application process.
- Liaising with officials in Her Majesty’s Government and key industry stakeholders to maintain a pro-active and reliable service.
- Guidance on British film, television programme animation and video game tax reliefs.
Applicants are encouraged to contact the certification unit as early as possible to discuss their applications. The unit is happy to meet applicants at any stage of development and work with them on their applications. For further details on the cultural tests or to discuss a particular project please telephone Anna Mansi, Head of Certification, on +44 (0)20 7173 3214 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.